NV CD4 Candidate Sam Peters sends Congressman Horsford an Open Letter demanding accountability and answers. See the full letter below.
The Honorable Steven Horsford
2250 N Las Vegas Blvd, Suite 500
North Las Vegas, NV 89030
Dear Congressman Horsford:
While you and I are political opponents, I agree with yours statements in 2018 that public officials must be held to a higher-standard as they have been entrusted with the public’s well-being. I agree with your statement from the 2018 debate, that ethics investigations take months, if not longer, to uncover the facts and that is too long when the integrity of an elected official is in question.
That is why I am writing to you today. The people of Nevada’s 4th Congressional District would like you to answer nine simple questions and help avoid a costly and lengthy ethics investigation. These questions are specific to your admitted extramarital affair that spanned more than a decade, to include your time as Congressman, where you should have been holding yourself to the aforementioned higher-standard.
These are my questions:
- How did your Congressional staff know about the affair?
- Did they participate in assisting you in trying to cover it up?
- Did they know because you accessed hush funds in an attempt to cover it up?
- Do you oppose the use of congressional hush funds?
- Should congressional hush funds be eliminated?
- Should every elected official who has used hush funds have their names published?
- Seven times you used campaign funds for private lodging in Las Vegas even though you own a home in Las Vegas. Was this use of campaign funds done for your affair, if not, why were they used?
- What influence and pressure did you use against Ms. Linder to try to keep this affair secret?
- Please explain the timing of your confession of your affair.
Public service is a sacred trust and something I take very seriously. While I served in the United States Air Force, we learned and lived by the core values of integrity, service, and excellence. The citizens of the Fourth District expect that from their elected officials.
That is why I am asking for you to answer these questions at once. The citizens of the 4th District deserve nothing less than your immediate and honest response to these questions.
I look forward to your prompt response.